|13040404||Universal Human Values||Learning Schedule|
The methodology of this course is universally adaptable, involving a systematic and rational study of the human being vis-à-vis the rest of existence. It is free from any dogma or value prescriptions. This process of self-exploration takes the form of a dialogue between the teacher and the students to begin with and within the student himself/herself finally.
- To create an awareness on Engineering Ethics and Human Values.
- To understand social responsibility of an engineer.
- To appreciate ethical dilemma while discharging duties in professional life.
On completion of this course, the students will be able to
- Understand the significance of value inputs in a classroom and start applying them in their life and profession
- Distinguish between values and skills, happiness and accumulation of physical facilities, the Self and the Body, Intention and Competence of an individual, etc.
- Understand the role of a human being in ensuring harmony in society and nature.
- Distinguish between ethical and unethical practices, and start working out the strategy to actualize a harmonious environment wherever they work.
UNIT I: Introduction to Value Education
- Value Education, Definition, Concept and Need for Value Education.
- The Content and Process of Value Education.
- Basic Guidelines for Value Education.
- Self exploration as a means of Value Education.
- Happiness and Prosperity as parts of Value Education.
UNIT II: Harmony in the Human Being
- Human Being is more than just the Body.
- Harmony of the Self (‘I’) with the Body.
- Understanding Myself as Co-existence of the Self and the Body.
- Understanding Needs of the Self and the needs of the Body.
- Understanding the activities in the Self and the activities in the Body.
UNIT III: Harmony in the Family and Society and Harmony in the Nature
- Family as a basic unit of Human Interaction and Values in Relationships.
- The Basics for Respect and today’s Crisis: Affection, e, Guidance, Reverence, Glory,Gratitude and Love.
- Comprehensive Human Goal: The Five Dimensions of Human Endeavour.
- Harmony in Nature: The Four Orders in Nature.
- The Holistic Perception of Harmony in Existence.
UNIT IV: Social Ethics
- The Basics for Ethical Human Conduct.
- Defects in Ethical Human Conduct.
- Holistic Alternative and Universal Order.
- Universal Human Order and Ethical Conduct.
- Human Rights violation and Social Disparities.
UNIT V: Professional Ethics
- Value based Life and Profession.
- Professional Ethics and Right Understanding.
- Competence in Professional Ethics.
- Issues in Professional Ethics – The Current Scenario.
- Vision for Holistic Technologies, Production System and Management Models.
1.A.N Tripathy, New Age International Publishers, 2003.
2.Bajpai. B. L , , New Royal Book Co, Lucknow, Reprinted, 2004
3.Bertrand Russell Human Society in Ethics & Politics
1.Corliss Lamont, Philosophy of Humanism
2.Gaur. R.R. , Sangal. R, Bagaria. G.P, A Foundation Course in Value Education, Excel Books, 2009.
3.Gaur. R.R. , Sangal. R , Bagaria. G.P, Teachers Manual Excel Books, 2009.
4.I.C. Sharma . Ethical Philosophy of India Nagin & co Julundhar
5.Mortimer. J. Adler, – Whatman has made of man
6.William Lilly Introduction to Ethic Allied Publisher