||Cryptography and Network Security||Learning Schedule|
To highlight the features of different technologies involved in Network Security.
- Explain the objectives of information security
- Explain the importance and application of each of confidentiality, integrity, authentication and availability
- Understand various cryptographic algorithms.
- Understand the basic categories of threats to computers and networks
- Describe public-key cryptosystem.
- Describe the enhancements made to IPv4 by IPSec
- Understand Intrusions and intrusion detection
- Discuss the fundamental ideas of public-key cryptography.
- Generate and distribute a PGP key pair and use the PGP package to send an encrypted e-mail message.
- Discuss Web security and Firewalls
- Student will be able to understand basic cryptographic a algorithms, message and web authentication and security issues.
- Ability to identify information system requirements for both of them such as client and server.
- Ability to understand the current legal issues towards information security.
Attacks on Computers and Computer Security: Introduction, The need for security, Security approaches, Principles of security, Types of Security attacks, Security services, Security Mechanisms, A model for Network
Cryptography: Concepts and Techniques: Introduction, plain text and cipher text, substitution techniques, transposition techniques, encryption and decryption, symmetric and asymmetric key cryptography, stenography, key range and key size, possible types of attacks.
UNIT – II
Symmetric key Ciphers: Block Cipher principles & Algorithms(DES, AES, Blowfish), Differential and Linear Crypt analysis, Block cipher modes of operation, Stream ciphers, RC4,Location and placement of encryption
function, Key distribution
Asymmetric key Ciphers: Principles of public key cryp to systems, Algorithms(RSA, Diffie-Hellman, ECC), Key Distribution.
UNIT – III
Message Authentication Algorithms and Hash Functions: Authentication requirements, Functions, Message authentication codes, Hash Functions, Secure hash algorithm, Whirlpool, HMAC, CMAC, Digital signatures, knapsack algorithm
Authentication Applications: Kerberos, X.509 Authentication Service, Public – Key Infrastructure, Biometric Authentication.
UNIT – IV
E-Mail Security: Pretty Good Privacy, S/MIME
IP Security: IP security overview, IP Security architecture, Authentication Header, Encapsulating security payload, Combining security associations, key management.
UNIT – V
Web Security: Web security considerations, Secure Socket Layer and Transport Layer Security, Secure electronic transaction
Intruders, virus and Firewalls: Intruders, Intrusion detection, password management, virus and related threats, Countermeasures, Firewall design principles, types of firewalls
Case Studies on Cryptography and security: Secure Inter-branch Payment Transactions, Cross site Scripting Vulnerability, Virtual E lections
- Cryptography and Network Security : William Stallings, Pearson Education,4″‘ Edition
- Cryptography and Network Security : Atul Kahate, Mc Graw Hill Edition
- Cryptography and Network Security: C K Shyamala, N Harin i, Dr T R Padmanabhan, Wiley India, 1”
- Cryptography and Network Security : Forouzan Mukhopadhyay, MC Graw Hill, 2″” Edition
- Information Security, Principles and Practice: Mark Stamp, Wiley India.
- Principles of Computer Security: WM.Arthur Conklin, Greg White, TMH
- Introduction to Network Security: Neal Krawetz, CENGAGE Learning
- Network Security and Cryptography: Bernard Menezes, CENGAGE Learning