|Course Code||Strength of Materials||Learning Schedule|
|13010306||Pre-requisites: Engg. Mechanics, Basic Engg.||3||0||0||3|
Students learn the concept of stress and strain, elastic constants, principle stress and strain, torsion, shear force and bending moment. They also learn to calculate the deflection of beams by different methods and the concept of strain energy. Students understand different formulas to calculate critical load on columns. After course completion, students will be able to calculate stress, strain, shear force and bending moment for beams, deflection in beams by different methods and critical load on columns.
- To know the concept of stress and strain for the calculation of internal forces in the structural member.
- To know the concept of shear force and bending moment.
- To calculate deflection in beams, column and trusses.
On completion of this course, the students will be able to
- Understand the concepts of stress and strain.
- Analyze shear force, bending moment & torsion for different type of structural members.
- Calculate deflections in the structural members.
Unit I: Stresses and Strains
Simple Stress and Strain: Introduction – Normal and Shear stresses – Stress – Strain Diagrams, Elastic Constants – Principle stresses and strains – Mohr’s circle.
Unit II: One dimensional loading & Torsion
One dimensional loading on members of varying cross-section. Torsion: Introduction – Torsion of shafts of circular section – torque and twist- shear stress due to torque.
Unit III: Shear Force and Bending Moment
Types of beams and supports – shear force and bending moment diagram – bending stresses and shear stresses in beams
Unit IV: Deflection of Beams
Introduction – Failure Criteria of beams – Theory of bending – deflection of beams by Macaulay’s method – moment area method and conjugate beam method – application of principle of impulse and momentum.
Unit V : Strain Energy
Stain Energy – Castigliano’s theorem – calculation of deflection in statically determinate beams and trusses – Unit load methods – Williot Mohr’s diagram.
Unit VI: Theory of Columns
Theory of Columns – long column and short column – Euler’s formula – Rankine’s formula – Secant formula – beam column.
- Elementary Structural Analysis, Jain,A.K.,Nem Chand &Bros,Roorkee;
- Strength of Materials, RK Rajput, S Chand.
- Strength of Materials , S. Ramamrutham, Dhanpat Rai Publications.
- Strength of Materials, B.C. Punmia, Laxmi Publications.
- A Textbook of Strength of Materials, Prof. R. K Bansal, Laxmi Publications.
- Mechanics of Materials by.Beer, Jhonston, DEwolf and Mazurek, TMH.
- Strength of Materials by Pytel and Singer, Harper Collins.
- Strength of Materials by Ryder, Macmillan.
- Strength of Materials by Timoshenko and &Yσungs, East West Press.
- Mechanics of Materials, Popov Nagarjan& Lu, Prentice Hall of India,N.Delhi.