|Geo -Technical Engineering||Learning Schedule|
|Pre-requisites: Soil Mechanics||3||0||0||3|
This course provides advance knowledge of and application in civil construction work. The course improves capability to decide type of foundation suitable for the sub soil strata existing at construction site. Provides knowledge to calculate earth pressure and bearing capacity required for the design of sub structure for Civil Engineering Projects.
- To understand the design aspects of foundation.
- To evaluate the stress developed in the soil medium.
- To understand the framework of soil investigation.
On completion of this course, the students will be able to
- Comprehend and utilize the geotechnical literature to establish the framework for foundation design.
- Plan and implement a site investigation program including subsurface exploration to evaluate soil/structure behavior and to obtain the necessary design parameters.
- Carry out slope stability analysis for various fills and slopes.
- Determine allowable bearing pressures and load carrying capabilities of different foundation systems.
Unit I: Failure Envelope and Earth Pressure
Mohr’s-Columb, Tresca and Von Mises theories.
Earth Pressure- Active and Passive state of earth pressure and pressure at rest. Rankines and Columb wedge theory. Earth pressure computation for practical cases.
Unit II: Slope Stability
Failure of finite and infinite slopes – Swedish circle method, Friction Circle method, Taylors stability number and stability curves, Factor of safety, slope stability of earth dams, introduction to Bishop’s method.
Unit III: Foundation
Bearing capacity- Minimum depth of foundation, Failure theories, Meyerhof’s analysis, Skempton’s value of Nc, different equations for bearing capacity, effect of water table on bearing capacity. IS code method for computing bearing capacity.
Shallow Foundations: Safe bearing capacity, Settlement of footings – immediate and time dependent settlement, permissible limits, differential settlement, introduction to codal provisions.
Deep Foundations: Classification and selection of piles, static and dynamic formulae for single pile capacity, efficiency and capacity of pile groups, settlement of pile groups, load test on piles as per BIS codes. Classification and selection of under reamed pile.
Unit IV: Site Investigation and Soil Exploration
Objective of site investigation, reconnaissance, detailed site investigation, methods of exploration, geophysical methods, seismic refraction survey. Depth of exploration, selection of foundation, plate load test, standard penetration test.
- Arun Kr. Jain, & B.C. Punmia, Ashok Kr. Jain, Soil Mechanics and Foundations, Laxmi Publications.
- K.R. Arora, Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Standard Publisher Distributer.
- Shashi K. Gulhati & Manoj Datta, Geotechnical Engineering, Tata McGraw Hill Ltd.
- Donald P Coduto, William A. Kitch, Man-chu Ronald Yeung, Geotechnical Engineering: Principles and Practice, Pearson Education.
- Joseph E. Bowles, Foundation Analysis and Design, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Braja M. Das, Principles of Foundation Engineering, Nelson Engineering.